Why You Need Immigration Attorneys in Houston to Hire

There are a variety of reasons why you might be looking for the services of an Immigration Attorneys in Houston to hire. Perhaps you want to become a US citizen, keep your family together or get your application out of the red tape. Whatever your reason, you need to hire the best attorney you can find.

Get your application out of the red tape

If you have been a victim of immigration delays, there may be legal options to pursue. You may be able to file a writ of mandamus lawsuit or contact your state senators and the USCIS Ombudsman to speed up your case.

Regardless of the reason for your delays, the result can be a lot of stress on your family. An immigration attorney can help make the process as easy as possible. By making sure that the proper documentation is submitted, you can expedite the application process and get back to the fun stuff.

An immigration lawyer can also look into your past history. It’s not uncommon for the USCIS to ask for more proof of your qualifications. In addition to obtaining this proof, the lawyer can correct any mistakes that have been made.

An immigration lawyer can also assist you in making the right decision for your family. An expert can explain to you the benefits of acquiring a green card, as well as the steps involved in the process.

Become a US citizen

There are many benefits to becoming a United States citizen. The right to vote in state elections, run for office, support the constitution, and travel abroad with a passport are just a few. A citizenship attorney in Houston can help you obtain these rights.

There are several steps to the naturalization process. The first step is to file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. This must be completed and submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The information contained on this form must be accurate. If inaccurate, it can make the citizenship application appear fraudulent.

Next, applicants must take a test to prove that they are able to speak and understand the English language. There may also be other requirements. These include submitting additional documents such as a marriage license and green card.

Lastly, applicants must undergo an interview with a USCIS officer. They must answer questions on their background, family, and other aspects of their application.

Appeal a negative immigration decision

Whenever you receive an unfavorable immigration decision, you may want to appeal it. However, there are several rules that need to be followed.

First, it is important to remember that the denial or revocation notice will indicate whether the decision is appealable. It should also inform you where to file an appeal. Appeal Attorney in Atlanta

Another important part of the appeal process is to attach evidence to your petition. This can include certificates such as a marriage certificate or a child birth certificate that proves your family’s identity in your home country. If these documents are not available, you can also use references to back up your assertions.

An effective argument on your visa appeal letter must be based on facts and laws. It should also explain your reasons for appealing the decision.

For example, you should state that you wish to visit your spouse or children. This can give you an advantage when you make your appeal. You should also mention the date you intend to travel.

Keep your family together

A good immigration attorney can help you keep your family together. An experienced attorney can advise you on what documents you should submit, and how to make sure they are valid. They can also help you find a work permit for a foreign worker, and even help you apply for citizenship. They can explain the process to you in plain English.

The United States’ immigration policy is designed to help keep families together. There are many forms of family sponsorship, including green cards. However, it can be difficult for people from countries with little English proficiency to understand the process. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you navigate the challenges of the application process.

Immigrants can receive help through organizations like Immigrant Families Together. This organization provides healthcare, clothing, and legal assistance to families in the U.S. It also helps to reunite adults with their families.

You can also contact Houston asylum lawyers to help you overcome the difficulties that come with fleeing a troubled country. Asylum/refugee attorneys can assist you in filing the correct paperwork to protect you from persecution. It is important to act quickly when applying for asylum. In some cases, the appeals deadline is just 15 days. This may not give you enough time to prepare your case.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory, the best and free online attorney directory. Guest bloggers can also publish their articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Family Immigration Law in Florida

Whether you’re looking to bring your family to the United States, or you want to help them to become permanent residents, you’ll need to understand how family immigration law works. This article will discuss the various forms of family-based immigration and Adjustment of Status programs. You’ll also learn about relationships between U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, as well as the sponsorship of family members for a green card. Although the assistance of a qualified family immigration lawyer may be your best option in court, the answers to your case that an attorney can provide are the most viable option.

Relationships between U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents

Whether you are an American citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may have a family member who is eligible to immigrate to the United States. Family members are a vital part of the immigration system and can play an important role in the United States overall immigration policy. The requirements vary according to the relationship and country of origin of the beneficiary.

Citizens of the United States can petition for foreign-born relatives to become U.S. permanent residents. These people may qualify to become green card holders, or “lawful permanent residents”. The green card, or alien registration card, is a document issued by the Department of Homeland Security. filing an I-130 petition

Citizens can petition for a wide range of relatives, from spouses to children to unmarried parents. However, there are limits on the number of visas that can be issued to these individuals each year. This can create a long waiting period before a green card can be issued.

There are also categories of people that are considered preference relatives. These include spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children under age 21, parents, and siblings. These categories face strict numerical limits based on the relationship. Obtaining these preferences can take decades.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers a number of guides and resources to help applicants apply for a green card. Applicants must meet statutory requirements, have good moral character, and demonstrate a strong financial ability to support themselves and their families.

If a family member has suffered spousal abuse, they are eligible for a three-year statutory period. This means that the abused spouse does not have to have lived with the abuser for three years to qualify.

Family reunification has long played an important role in the U.S. immigration system. It is estimated that nearly two-thirds of legal immigration into the United States is on the basis of family ties. This share varies from year to year, but the majority of immigrants immigrate on the basis of family ties.

Lawful permanent residents may also sponsor spouses and unmarried children under age 21. These individuals must meet statutory requirements and must have a valid alien registration card. They may also be eligible to receive financial assistance at public colleges and universities and to join the Armed Forces. Several countries also offer visa-free travel to U.S. citizens.

Forms of family-based immigration

Bringing family members to the United States is an important part of the visa system. However, there are some strict rules and regulations that must be followed if you want to be able to sponsor a relative for an immigrant visa. It is important to get all of your paperwork filed correctly in order to avoid delaying the process or having a bad outcome.

There are two categories of family-based immigration applications. The first category is called Immediate Relative, and the second category is called Family Preference. Each category has a numerical limit for the number of green cards that are granted each year. These caps are determined by the type of family relationship. For example, family preference visas are available to spouses and unmarried children of legal permanent residents, while immediate family visas are available to spouses, children, and unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

Family-based immigration is a complicated process. It involves two or more family members who must each file a series of forms with the USCIS. This is where hiring a family-based immigration lawyer can make the process run smoothly. Having the correct paperwork on hand is key to the process, as well as ensuring that your family member is legally bound by an affidavit of support.

Having your family member sponsored is one of the most common ways to obtain a green card. There are some restrictions and limitations associated with this type of immigration, including restrictions on the age of the children in the family. The family-based visa process can be time-consuming, especially when it comes to family unification.

Family-based immigration law is designed to make it easier for US citizens to bring family members to the United States. The process includes a family-based petition and an affidavit of support, which are required by the law. The sponsor must meet a set of requirements, including being a permanent resident and being able to provide financial support for the family member.

Family-based immigration is a part of the visa system, and visa holders have other rights and freedoms. In addition, the law grants visa holders the right to attend school and legally work in the United States.

Sponsorship of family members for a green card

Generally speaking, family immigration law requires family members to be financially supported before an immigrant can qualify for a green card. This is called sponsorship. This requirement is important because the sponsor is obligated to support the individual, even if the immigrant is no longer a legal resident or citizen.

An immigrant’s sponsorship obligation cannot be erased like other debts, such as credit card debt. However, the sponsor can sue the government to collect reimbursement for public benefit programs.

The sponsor’s financial requirements are set by the US Government and the sponsor must prove that his or her income is sufficient to support the immigrant. This minimum income requirement changes annually, depending on changes in the US poverty line. It is calculated to be 125% above the poverty level.

Immigrants in the family-based first preference category must prove that they have a parent-child relationship. A proof of legitimacy is required when a father sponsors a son or daughter born out of wedlock. The government has a wide definition of family, which includes distant relationships.

The Affirmation of Support (Form I-864), an affidavit of support, is the legal document that obligates the sponsor to support the sponsored individual. This document is a must-read for any potential sponsor. A lawyer could review this document for you.

For the average immigrant, 3.5 family members are sponsored. These family members include spouses, children, and parents. In addition to the household, the sponsor must also prove that he or she has the ability to support the immigrant.

There are several family-based preference categories to choose from. Each category has its own set of requirements, which may be confusing to the average immigrant. In some cases, the government will require a second piece of evidence. These include health screenings, secondary evidence, and proof of a legitimate family relationship.

The government also has a list of public charge benefits. The government distinguishes between cash assistance and non-cash assistance. The government also has a list of public benefits, which may be received by immigrants.

In the United States, there are several ways to sponsor family members. Some of the most common is through marriage. Other methods include sponsoring children, unmarried children, parents, and siblings. If you are unsure of your rights as a sponsor, contact an experienced green card attorney for more information.

Adjustment of status programs

Using family immigration law adjustment of status programs, you may be able to obtain an immigrant visa to enter the United States. In some cases, you may be able to obtain the visa without leaving the United States. Other times, you may need to apply for the visa through consular processing.

Family immigration law adjustment of status programs is available to certain close relatives of U.S. citizens. However, in order to qualify, you must meet certain requirements. There are several factors that will be taken into consideration before USCIS will make a decision.

The primary document in the process is an adjustment of status form. This form contains the applicant’s information, as well as the details of their immigration history. Applicants must also submit a biographic data sheet, proof of eligibility for a green card, and tax documents. You will also be required to submit a medical examination sheet.

Family immigration law adjustment of status programs allows certain close family members to obtain a green card. Depending on the family member, there are several requirements. Some candidates may be required to attend an interview. In some cases, this interview will take place at your local USCIS office.

Adjustment of status programs is available to both immediate and non-immediate relatives of US citizens. However, there are certain negative factors that may prevent an immediate relative from adjusting. Some of these factors include failing to maintain legal status, residing in the US after an I-94 expiration date, and working without permission. Other factors may include a preconceived intent to remain in the United States. You may also be required to answer questions about your marriage to your US citizen spouse.

In addition to these requirements, you will need to be able to provide financial support for your family member. You must also be able to provide an affidavit of support. A sponsor must have a minimum income, as well as state that they will be financially responsible for their relative. Whether you qualify for the program will depend on your personal circumstances.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory, the best and free online attorney directory. Guest bloggers can also publish their articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Examples of Immigration Laws

Immigration laws govern how people can enter and remain in a country. These laws are based on national statutes, regulations, and legal precedents. These laws are different from naturalization and citizenship laws. However, they are sometimes confused with each other. Here are a few examples of immigration laws. The Immigration Act of 1990 equalized the allocation of visas to foreign countries.

Immigration Act of 1990 equalized allocation of visas across foreign nations

The Immigration Act of 1990 equalized the allocation of visas among foreign countries, and also created a new diversity immigrant category. This category was introduced to increase the numbers of immigrants from nations that do not have high immigration rates. A diversity immigrant visa is one of the few ways to immigrate to the United States legally without sponsorship.

The Act also makes provisions for special immigrant status for aliens declared dependent by a juvenile court, allows visas to be extended for certain foreign nationals, and makes provisions for the expedited issuance of Lebanese visas. It also revises provisions for asylee adjustments and eliminates the numerical cap on asylees.

The Immigration Act of 1990 also introduced new rules to control immigration. For the first time, the government would issue visas to those who meet certain criteria. The Immigration Act of 1990 increased the cap on annual immigration and established a preference category based on diversity. It also amended existing preference categories and ended restrictions on immigrants who were gay or lesbian. It also created a new immigration program called Temporary Protected Status (TPS). This program allows immigrants to temporarily stay in the United States without fear of deportation.

Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986 sought to limit practice of marrying to obtain citizenship

In enacting these amendments, Congress sought to prevent the practice of marrying to obtain citizenship. It sought to distinguish between marriages between aliens in deportation proceedings and their spouses. This distinction was rational, as the amendments attempted to deter fraudulent immigration benefits marriages.

The Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986 sought specifically to limit the practice of marrying to obtain citizenship. These amendments added additional requirements to visas issued to alien spouses of U.S. citizens. They also gave alien spouses the right to contest the revocation of their status at a deportation hearing.

The Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986 aimed to limit this practice by establishing a two-year conditional resident status for aliens who married to obtain citizenship. After two years, a foreign spouse can apply to change his or her status from a conditional resident to lawful permanent resident. But this process requires the assistance of a qualified immigration attorney.

Enforcement of immigration laws

The federal government is preparing to release a legal opinion regarding the inherent authority of states to enforce immigration laws. Although this authority may not be vested in Congress, it has been recognized by the courts and Executive branch as a valid source of immigration enforcement authority. Nevertheless, enforcement of immigration laws must be consistent with federal law and with state policies.

The question of whether federal immigration laws should be enforced by local and state law enforcement officers is one of the most pressing concerns that state and local officials must address. Enforcing immigration laws can cause significant financial and legal burdens for local jurisdictions. Furthermore, it can reduce public trust and compromise public safety and welfare in the U.S. community. As such, local and state officials must carefully consider their limited resources, as well as the risk of racial profiling and increased litigation.

In 2005, the House passed H.R. 3137, which contained provisions on state immigration law enforcement. This legislation also included provisions allowing state and local law enforcement officials to receive grants for equipment and technology to help them enforce the immigration law. The legislation also included provisions that would allow state and local law enforcement officials to receive grants for crime prevention and response efforts.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory, the best and free online attorney directory. Guest bloggers can also publish their articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Things You Should Know About the U.S. Citizenship Interview

So you’re a lawful permanent resident who has met the requirements to become eligible for U.S. citizenship. You’ve lived as a green card holder in the U.S. for the last five years, and have good moral character. You’ve also submitted your N-400 at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, and you’re already done attending your biometrics appointment where you’ve been fingerprinted. You’re almost at the finish line of the naturalization process! You just have to attend the naturalization interview and citizenship exam, and this article can help you prepare exactly for that.

The citizenship interview has two purposes: to double-check the information you provided and to test your English speaking ability. This may seem intimidating, but you can study ahead of time to prepare for the exam. Having a practice test with an English-speaking friend and brushing up on your American history can effectively prepare you for the citizenship test.

The interviewer will determine whether you’re eligible for citizenship and to become naturalized or not, so the documents and information you provided are accurate. 

Applying for citizenship in the United States is a big move, so don’t hesitate to seek assistance from an immigration law firm in New Jersey. At Andres Mejer Law, we have experienced New Jersey immigration lawyers who can help you understand the immigration and citizenship process, USCIS forms, the civics exam, and other concerns about the naturalization application and citizenship process.

While not all of these questions will be asked by a USCIS Officer during the naturalization interview, it is better to come prepared

The Interview

U.S. Citizenship Like any other interview, it starts with a greeting. Of course, answering properly is the polite thing to do, but also because the interviewer will observe how you converse in English. Also, it is important that you at least know basic English if you want to become a US citizen.

The officer will then ask you if you understand what it means to be placed under oath, and if you solemnly swear/affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

They will ask you about your physical characteristics and personal details such as your name (and if you made any legal changes to it), your birthday, current residence, family background, national affiliation or nationality, education and work history, etc. 

They will also ask you about your relationship status and history and, if married, whether your spouse is an American citizen.

They will also ask you if you will willingly obey and uphold the U.S. constitution, and if you will willingly take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. They will also ask you about your military service history, whether you have served in the armed forces of the United States, or if you’ve ever participated in a U.S. election as a voter (only citizens of the United States are allowed to vote; non-citizens, including those with LPR status, aren’t allowed to vote).

Legal permanent residents who applied for citizenship will also be asked about their immigration status, such as when was their application for nationalization approved, their current citizenship status, or how long they’ve been a green cardholder.

Other citizenship questions that the immigration officer may ask when you apply to become a citizen are related to your immigration history, travel history, tax filings during the time you became a lawful permanent resident (e.g. did you classify yourself as a U.S. non-resident or do you have taxes owed to the US government whether local, state, or federal), and if you have affiliations or membership to certain organizations.

The U.S. Civics Test

During your application to gain American citizenship, a USCIS officer will conduct the interview and simply ask several test questions from the list given to you by USCIS. In some cases, however, USCIS splits the interview into two. One officer will test you on your knowledge of American history and the English language, while another will do the actual interview. 

The list has 100 questions, and to pass the exam and obtain citizenship, you must answer 6 out of ten questions correctly. If you fail to answer enough questions correctly, the interview will be stopped. For first-time applicants, the interview will be rescheduled within the next 90 days. 

After the Interview

Once you passed the interview, a USCIS interviewer will inform you about the citizenship ceremony, usually by mail. And if you’re denied, then you can simply choose to appeal or apply again.

If you still have questions on the citizenship application or how to apply for US citizenship, then don’t hesitate to consult with a New Jersey immigration lawyer. We are committed to helping you become a US citizen. Call us now!

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory  Publish articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Who is Eligible to Apply for an Adjustment of Status?

U.S. immigration laws provide different ways for a foreign national to apply for a Green Card or Lawful Permanent Resident status. The eligibility requirements to gain a green card status in New Jersey vary depending on the immigrant category you’re applying under, so it’s important that you know which specific immigrant category you’re qualified for.

An “adjustment of status” is the process you can use to change your immigration status from being a visa holder to a green cardholder. Once you’re a green card holder, you’re considered a legal permanent resident of the U.S. You can apply for permanent residency at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office if you’re already in the U.S.

This is different from a “consular processing” where the immigrant goes to a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country to apply for lawful permanent residence which involves attending immigration interviews there and submitting immigration paperwork and other documents. 

In general, there are 4 requirements that you must qualify to adjust status in New Jersey:

  1. You’ve entered the U.S. lawfully
  2. You have a lawful presence in the United States
  3. You’ve complied with all the terms in your visa
  4. You’re qualified to get a green card application

However, there are rare cases where an illegal alien may still be eligible to adjust status. For example, they have an employment-based immigrant visa that has expired causing them to overstay. They can apply for adjustment of status within 180 days upon their visa expiration. To help with your adjustment of status, it is best to consult an immigration lawyer in New Jersey.

Who Can Use Adjustment of Status in the Green Card Eligibility Categories?

Adjustment of Status Not everyone is qualified to adjust their status. However, you are eligible if you qualify under any of the following:

  • You are eligible to start your green card application, whether through sponsorship by your U.S. employer, a relative who is a lawful permanent resident or a U.S. citizen or by having a refugee or asylum status at least a year before your application.
  • If you’re eligible through family immigration or employment immigration, your petition form must already be approved by the USCIS and your priority date is current to continue with your green card application. Priority dates are for immigration applicants under preference categories that are subject to annual limits. However, not everyone faces numerical limits or waiting times; for example, you don’t have to wait when getting a green card in the immediate relative category because they release unlimited numbers of visas annually.
  • You’ve entered the United States through a fiance visa (K-1 visa) and married your U.S. citizen partner who sponsored your application within 90 days. 
  • You have been granted asylum/refugee status in the United States for 1 year.
  • You are physically present in the United States.

If you don’t qualify for an adjustment of status even though you fit most of the criteria above (for example you’ve entered the U.S. as an illegal immigrant or you’ve committed other visa violations), there’s still hope, because there are certain laws which can allow you to adjust status, and it’s best to consult with an experienced New Jersey immigration lawyer to specifically help with your case.

Immigration laws are complex. If you need immigration assistance, our New Jersey immigration attorneys can help. 

Our lawyers at Andres Mejer Law can provide you with the immigration solutions specific to your case. Contact us today for a free legal strategy session. 

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory  Publish articles here as other bloggers are doing.

An Overview of the Green Card Application

Getting a green card gives foreign nationals a lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. They are granted the rights for entry, exit, work, and residency in the U.S., and the privilege to eventually become naturalized citizens. To become a lawful permanent resident, an alien must apply through family-based immigration or work-based immigration. In some instances, one may apply through asylum or refugee status. Foreigners may also apply on their own without a sponsor in certain circumstances. In this article, we have provided information that can guide you in your Green Card Application in LA.

Who Are Eligible for a Green Card?

Before starting your application to become a permanent resident, you must first check if you qualify for any of the categories below and if you meet any of its requirements. 

  • green card process Immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen. Parents, spouses, and unmarried children under age 21 of a U.S. citizen petitioner are eligible to apply for legal permanent residence.
  • Other family members of a U.S. citizen. This category includes unmarried children at least 21 years old, married children, siblings who are 21 years old and above, and married individuals with a U.S. citizen parent. In this preference category, only a limited number of green cards are granted and have a first-come, first-served policy.
  • Family members of a green cardholder. Unmarried children and spouses of petitioners are eligible to apply in this category. 
  • Employment Sponsorship. In this category, there are five preferences available, and an alien may apply for permanent residency if they are sponsored by an employer or a prospective employer through a job offer. A foreign national may also apply in this category if they’re an investor or an entrepreneur who will invest in a business that will create new jobs for U.S. citizens. Those who qualify as “Aliens of Extraordinary Ability” are eligible to self-petition for a green card. Individuals who are considered special immigrants by the U.S. government and possess specialized jobs such as religious workers, broadcasters, Iraqis, and Afghans employed by the U.S. government are also qualified to apply in this category.

The Application Process

Once you get your immigrant visa and immigrant number, you can begin your petition for lawful permanent resident status and to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

If you’re currently in the United States, you can apply for an adjustment of status to start the immigration process. 

Consular processing, on the other hand, is for foreign nationals who are outside of the United States. Both the beneficiary and the petitioner are notified once a decision has been made regarding the immigration and visa petition. 

If you need assistance in your immigration petition, contact our law firm and talk to one of our experienced New Jersey immigration attorneys assist you today.

The Green Card Interview Process

For individuals going through the consular processing, an interview is scheduled by the consular office once a visa is available or once your priority date becomes current. In this interview, they will determine whether you’re eligible for an immigrant visa or not.

In an adjustment of status, the applicant is required to go to an appointment with the Application Support Center (ASC) and to attend an interview with USCIS if necessary.

At Andres Mejer Law, our competent immigration lawyers can handle all the immigration forms and paperwork for your application and avoid unnecessary delays. 

Contact us today and let one of our New Jersey immigration attorneys help you in your immigration process. 

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory  Publish articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Planning to Renew Your DACA? Here Are Some Tips

If you’ve received work permits and have temporary rights to remain on U.S. soil under the DACA program, you’re required to renew it every two years. Continue reading below to find out more about the steps you need to follow to renew your DACA status.

DACA or The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals is a United States immigration policy that was initiated by former President Obama. It grants temporary immigrant status to individuals with unlawful presence in the United States after being brought to the country as children. Undocumented immigrants who qualify will receive a period of deferred action from deportation which can be renewed every two years. It doesn’t guarantee naturalization as a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent residence (being a green card holder), but you can apply for a work permit or an Employment Authorization Document and sometimes, even an international travel permit or an Advance Parole. 

Who Qualifies for a DACA Renewal?

Under U.S. law, the basic qualifications for DACA eligibility still need to be met to renew your status. To qualify, the following criteria must still be met:

  • Be under 31 years of age on June 15, 2012
  • Must have come to the United States before their 16th birthday
  • Have lived in the U.S. starting June 15, 2007
  • Was physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and the date of application when it was submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office to be considered for deferred action
  • Illegally entered without inspection (unlawful immigration) before June 15, 2012, or their lawful immigration status has expired as of that date
  • Is currently studying or have graduated from high school, is a veteran — that is honorably discharged — of the US Armed Forces or Coast Guard, or has acquired a General Education Development (GED) certificate, 
  • Must not pose a threat to public safety and national security, and haven’t been convicted of felony or DUI, a serious misdemeanor, or more than three kinds of misdemeanor

Additional criteria for a DACA renewal include:

  • Obtained permission from USCIS (Advance Parole) before traveling outside of U.S.
  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. since submitting their DACA application
  • No previous convictions of felony or misdemeanor

Immigration law can be daunting.  As such,  you need someone who knows the ins and outs of the immigration process. If you have immigration issues or legal concerns regarding your legal status and DACA renewal an immigration lawyer can help. Connect with a New Jersey immigration attorney today to seek legal advice.

Applying for a DACA Renewal

 DACAIf you’re a DACA recipient who’s eligible to renew your status, the following USCIS forms must be submitted:

  1. Form I-821-D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (also used for initial applications)
  2. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  3. Form I-765WS

Other supporting documents which you need to submit if there are any changes in your situation that might affect your application include:

  1. Any document indicating that you’ve received any decision or currently going through a removal proceeding (deportation) in an immigration court
  2. Any document indicating that you’ve been charged with a felony or convicted of a misdemeanor

How Our Eatontown New Jersey Attorneys Can Help

If you are faced with a situation that might affect your status or renewal, Andres Mejer Law can help. 

Don’t wait until it is too late! Schedule a free consultation with an experienced immigration attorney today.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory  Publish articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Are Immigrants Eligible for the CARES Act?

It has been a month since President Trump declared a public health emergency for COVID-19, and its impact on the American economy has been daunting. Soon after, at least 46 states and Washington, D.C., have enacted policies to close nonessential businesses in an effort to slow the spread of novel coronavirus in the United States. With some variations on the implementations per state, recreational spaces like museums, movie theaters, gyms, daycares, music venues and malls, including personal care retailers and service providers like spas, nail and hair salons, most likely fall under nonessential businesses category. Although these measures have been undoubtedly necessary to prevent the rapid spread of the virus, tens of thousands of American workers lost their jobs as a result.

Lawmakers worked hard in coming up with legislation that would provide emergency financial assistance for individuals, families, and businesses in the United States. The bill aptly called CARES or  Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act has been signed into law by the President. The historic $2 trillion stimulus package stands as the largest emergency aid package in US history that aims to boost the struggling economy with provisions to help American workers, small businesses and industries grappling with the economic disruption.

This post aims to uncover financial relief for individuals and families, as well as which individuals are qualified to receive financial assistance.

How will individuals and their families benefit from the CARES Act?

A centerpiece of the stimulus package is that it will provide direct financial assistance to American in the form of checks with the amount received based on income as explained below:

  • Individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each
  • Married couples earning up to $150,000 will receive $2,400.
  • Families will also receive $500 per child.
  • Individuals and families making more than these amounts can still receive payments, but at reduced amounts until they reach certain thresholds.
  • Individuals making more than $99,000 and married couples making more than $198,000 will not receive any of these cash payments.

Who are eligible to receive assistance?

The CARES Act specifically excludes “any nonresident alien” from the definition of “eligible individual.” Notably, “nonresident alien” is defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rather than by the immigration statute. The IRS states that a non-U.S. citizen is considered a nonresident alien unless he or she meets one of two tests: the green card test or the substantial presence test.

  • The Green Card test: This is applicable to you if you have a U.S. permanent or conditional residence or a green card. This is directed to a person who is a citizen of another country, who is authorized to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis (or, in the case of a conditional resident, for two years that may then be continued into a permanent stay). Lawful permanent residents, or “green card” holders, are considered resident aliens unless they voluntarily renounce and abandon their status in writing to USCIS, or their immigrant (permanent residence) status is administratively terminated by USCIS or judicially terminated by a U.S. federal court.
  • The Substantial Presence Test: Even without having a green card, a person who spends 31 days in the United States during the current year and 183 days during a three-year period that includes the current year and the two years immediately before that, is considered a resident alien. This affects many people who are in the U.S. on temporary, otherwise known as nonimmigrant visas. There are various exemptions, such as for time people spent in transit (less than 24 hours in the U.S.), time during which the person couldn’t leave because he or she required medical treatment, as well as for teachers and students (on an F, J, M, or Q visa) who haven’t stayed in the U.S. beyond a certain period of time.

It goes without saying that if you are not able to meet (or are exempt from) either the green card or the substantial presence tests, then you are most likely a non-resident alien. Take note that students and teachers are often classified as non-resident aliens in the early years of their U.S. stay. Non-resident aliens are not eligible for the tax credit.

If you are a resident alien, have a social security number, and earn less than $75,000 as a single individual, or less than $150,000 married filing jointly, you can expect to receive the tax credit.

If I receive a rebate, will I be considered a Public Charge?

Since the rebate is classified as a tax credit and not a public benefit under the public charge rule, you will not be considered a public charge. This will have no effect on your future immigration filings.

Can I avail of unemployment benefits?

The law granted so form of flexibility for the eligibility requirements of individuals, including those who are furloughed or out of work as a direct result of COVID-19, self-employed or gig workers, and those who have exhausted existing state and federal unemployment benefit provisions.

The only individuals expressly excluded from coverage are those who have the ability to telework with pay and those who are receiving paid sick leave or other paid benefits (even if they otherwise satisfy the criteria for unemployment under the new law)

Under the CARES Act, workers will be paid an additional $600 per week on top of what they would normally receive from the state (50% of earnings plus $600) for up to four months until July 31st.

In order to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must establish that you were in satisfactory immigration status and authorized to work in the United States when earning the wages you used to establish your claim. It is best to get in touch with the state’s unemployment agency to find out if you are eligible based on your immigration status.

Does the CARES have anything to say about student loans?

The CARES Act further provides temporary student loan relief. All federally held federal student loans are temporarily suspended and interest will not accrue through Sept. 30. The suspension is retroactive to March 13. To get the automatic relief, your loan needs to be both federal and federally held — meaning your lender is the federal government, and not a bank or other commercial lender.

Are you still wondering how immigrants can get relief in this current state of emergency the U.S. is under? Call us our immigration lawyers in Virginia.

Our immigration attorneys at Van Doren Law will be available to address any questions about the current immigration landscape. We understand how these can be trying times. As such, we offer free initial consultation. So pick up that phone or chat with us online and let our experienced immigration lawyers help you.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory  Publish articles here as other bloggers are doing.

Visa Options for Artists and Entertainers

Whether you are a singer, actor, dancer, graphic designer, musician, or even chef (culinary artist), you might be considering a move to the United States to further your career. In general, everyone seeking to live and work in the United States will require some sort of employment visa or permanent residence to do that. In this article, we will examine the most common types of visas that will help you achieve your American dream.

O-1B Extraordinary Ability Visa

The O-1B nonimmigrant visa is the most common type of visas for artists and entertainers seeking to live and work in the United States. It typically is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the arts, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements. The visa may be valid for a maximum of 3 years and may be extended indefinitely in 3-year increments. One of the great things about this visa is that you will be able to freelance and work with different employers. Visas for the Extraordinary

To qualify for an O-1 visa, you must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim and must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability. Extraordinary ability in the field of arts means distinction.  Distinction means a high level of achievement in the field of the arts evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that a person described as prominent is renowned, leading, or well-known in the field of arts.

To qualify for an O-1 visa in the motion picture or television industry, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition significantly above that ordinarily encountered to the extent the person is recognized as outstanding, notable, or leading in the motion picture and/or television field.

One of the most important things you should know about this visa is that you cannot actually apply for it yourself. You will need a US citizen or US company that is based in your field to apply for you. This person is known as your “Petitioner”.

Another requirement of applying for this visa is the “consultation letter”. USCIS requires 1 letter from a labor union or peer group in your field if you are in the arts, or 2 letters (labor union and management organization) if you are in the field of motion picture and television. Basically, the way this works is before you apply for immigration, you will need to submit a copy to the labor union, or peer group, pay their application fee, and wait for them to send you a copy of the letter. After you receive a copy of the letter, you will need to send it to immigration along with your application. If you are about to apply for a consultation letter, check out 5 Things You Need To Know About Consultation Letters.

Contracts / Itinerary

Next, to get the maximum three years allowable for the visa, you will need to show that you will be working in the field. The way you show this is through an itinerary and corresponding contracts. An itinerary is like a calendar of events that details what exactly you will be doing for the next three years. Everything that is in the itinerary must be supported by a relevant contract.

Evidentiary Criteria for O-1B

Now that you have your petitioner, consultation, contracts, and itinerary,  you will need to prove that you are extraordinary. One of the ways you can do that is by providing evidence that you have received or been nominated for, significant national or international awards or prizes in the particular field, such as an Academy Award, Emmy, Grammy, or Director’s Guild Award. Alternatively, you can provide evidence of at least (3) three of the following:

  • Performed and will perform services as a lead or starring participant in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts, or endorsements
  • Achieved national or international recognition for achievements, as shown by critical reviews or other published materials by or about the beneficiary in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other publications
  • Performed and will perform in a lead, starring, or critical role for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publications, or testimonials.
  • A record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as shown by such indicators as title, rating or standing in the field, box office receipts, motion picture or television ratings, and other occupational achievements reported in trade journals, major newspapers, or other publications
  • Received significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field in which the beneficiary is engaged, with the testimonials clearly indicating the author’s authority, expertise, and knowledge of the beneficiary’s achievements
  • A high salary or other substantial remuneration for services about others in the field, as shown by contracts or other reliable evidence

The requirements of the O1 / Artist visa can be difficult to meet if you do not have an established track record or have not been working as an artist for a long period of time. As you can see the requirements are complex and it’s advisable to work with an experienced O1 visa lawyer. However, if you are an artist that is coming to the United States to work within the established group the P-1B visa may be more suitable for you.

P-1B Member of an Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group Visa

The P-1B classification applies to you if you are coming to the United States temporarily to perform as a member of an entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time. You will need to prove that at least 75 percent of the members of your group must have had a substantial and sustained relationship with the group for at least one year, and your entertainment group must be internationally recognized, having a high level of achievement in a field evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered.

Similar to the O1 / artist visa, you will also need a Petitioner and a Consultation letter from a relevant labor union or peer group. You will also need to prove that your group is internationally recognized as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time as demonstrated by evidence of your group’s receipt of, or nomination for, significant international awards or prizes for outstanding achievement in the field, or evidence of at least three of the following:

  • Your group has performed and will perform as a starring or leading entertainment group in production or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts, or endorsements
  • Your group has achieved international recognition and acclaim for outstanding achievement in its field as evidenced by reviews in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other published material
  • Your group has performed and will perform services as a leading or starring group for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publications, or testimonials
  • Your group has a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as evidenced by indicators such as ratings, box office receipts, record, cassette, or video sales, and other achievements as reported in trade journals, major newspapers, or other publications
  • Your group has received significant recognition for achievements from critics, organizations, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field
  • Your group has commanded and will command a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services comparable to others similarly situated in the field, as evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence

As you can see, the reputation of the group, not the individual achievements of its members or the acclaim of a particular production, is essential, which may make this visa more suitable for an artist that is not quite established, but will be coming to work for an established group.

Alternatively, if your work is more culturally specific, such as Traditional Chinese dancer, Indian Classical musician, Japanese Taiko Drummer, you might be eligible for the P-3 visa.

P-3 Artist or Entertainer Coming to Be Part of a Culturally Unique Program

The P-3 visa may work for you if you are coming temporarily to perform, teach or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a culturally unique program. To apply for a P-3 visa, you must be coming to the United States either individually or as a group to develop, interpret, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. In addition, you must be coming to the United States to participate in cultural event or events which will further the understanding or development of your art form. The program may be of a commercial or noncommercial nature.

To get this visa, you will need your U.S. employer or sponsoring organization to submit Form I-129, Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker.  You will also need to provide a written consultation from an appropriate labor organization, a copy of the contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary or a summary of the terms of an oral agreement between the petitioner and the beneficiary, and an itinerary. You will also need to provide affidavits, testimonials, or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of your or your group’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the unique and traditional art forms and giving the credentials of the expert including the basis of his or her knowledge of your or your group’s skills; OR documentation that your or your group’s performance is culturally unique as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals or other published materials.

A less widely utilized visa type for artists is the H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa. The reason why this visa type tends to be less utilized is that you must prove that the job position normally requires a bachelor’s degree or higher. When it comes to job positions in the arts, a degree is often not a requirement, which makes it difficult to apply for this visa. However, where an artist has a Masters’s degree and is seeking to teach at a college, they may apply for this visa because universities typically require at least a Masters’s degree to teach.

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa

To apply for this visa, a prospective employer must file an approved Form ETA-9035, Labor Condition Application (LCA), with Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. See the links to the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Foreign Labor Certification and USCIS forms to the right.

The job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify as a specialty occupation:

  • Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position
  • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.

In addition, for you to qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university
  • Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation
  • Hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment
  • Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty

Marcus Yi, Esq. provides personalized immigration law representation for both employment and family-based immigration matters. He has represented corporations, non-profit organizations, and individuals in the process of obtaining temporary visas for work, study, and training, lawful permanent residence (a “green card”), and U.S. citizenship. He advises employers and individuals on all phases of immigration applications, from screening prospective hires to identifying visa strategies for new jobs and career transitions, through employment-based paths to permanent residence and naturalization. As an artist himself, Mr. Yi understands the unique nature of the arts industry and is fully qualified to provide the best service for artists seeking to work in the United States.

Mr. Yi graduated from St John’s University School of Law, where he earned a Juris Doctorate in 2011. He is a member of the New York State Bar and is licensed to practice in State and Federal court. He is also a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Find top rated attorneys and law firms profiles with Find Attorneys Directory, the best and free online attorney directory. Guest bloggers can also publish their articles here as other bloggers are doing.