Six Things you Need to Know when Filing for Domestic Violence Case
The term here “domestic violence” involves all forms of abuse or threat of abuse of physical, sexual, verbal, emotional, and economic nature which can harm or cause injury to health, safety, life, etc. and that can be mental or physical. The definition also includes child sexual abuse, harassment to a woman or her relatives on demanding unlawful dowry demands, and marital rape.
If you want to file a case with family law attorneys in Long Beach, here are 6 things you need to know when filing a DOMESTIC VIOLENCE case:-
- Very firstly you have to file a case. After filing your request for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, then the court will schedule a hearing in your case accordingly. While hearing, a judge will have to decide whether there is true evidence in favor of the victim. There are protective orders which a judge decides which prohibit the abuser from meeting the victim and coming to the victim for some fixed time.
- In case victims have minor children, then the judge orders the custody of the children to be granted exclusively to the victim to ensure children’s safety from abuse or any more abuse. If the abuser commits any domestic violence in Long Beach, the court orders the abuser to have only supervised contact with the children. A judge may order the abuser to have no contact with the children in some serious case.
- you must be prepared to provide the court with a true and complete problem of your relationship with the abuser, which also includes evidence of past abuses because this can be very supportive for establishing the protection of yourself and your children and this can be done successfully with the help of a family law attorney in the long beach and get justice against domestic violence.
- If you are planning to seek any kind of emergency support or maintenance i.e. financial support in your domestic violence case, you must test all your financial needs which include rent, child care, food, and insurance, and all the financial resources such as income and assets. You can also make a list of all your incomes and monthly expenses with the help of a family law attorney, and provide the court with all the important documents. You can also put his or her income as evidence with a copy of tax returns (if partners are joint).
- It is very important to choose a family law attorney or a lawyer who is specialized in this type of case especially any kind of domestic violence or issue and who is familiar with all the laws and court practices. But the most important thing is that you have to be completely true, faithful, and honest with your selected lawyer.
- The main important way can be here is while looking forward to helping as a victim of abuse, you must importantly consider how private your computer, phone, and social media are. If there is anything you can and would do to prevent anyone else from knowing that whether you are doing research or getting help. Some victims might use the same computer or device as the abuser or may have a phone that allows the abuser to see all the calls which are made and received. Many kinds of technology can also be used as security at home, cameras, and GPS in cars and phones can also be used to monitor by the abuser.
Domestic violence statistics are increasing. The report according to the research regarding domestic issues are the following:
- Around 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by her partner every year.
- Estimated one-third of female victims are killed by their partners.
- According to the research approximately 70-80% of the man have physically abused the woman before their murder
- This increasing physical and can be family violence which results in more than 18.5 million mental health issues with every passing year.
- According to the research, family law attorneys have seen that 85% of domestic violence victims are women of society.
Domestic violence is handled in three types of different courts:
This is a court where the state will have to prosecute the abuser with the help of family law attorneys Long beach (possible crimes may include abuse of an intimate partner, abuse of elders, murder, rape, assault, kidnapping, false imprisonment, trespassing, stalking, unlawful possession or concealment of a weapon, intimidating a witness, and many of the others).
This is the court where you may address any kind of violation of a protection order or sue for the damages of money(possible civil laws may include sexual harassment, personal injury).
Family or Divorce court:-
Family violence can directly or indirectly affect the divorce procedures and can become a major factor in limiting or prohibiting the abuser’s rights to child custody or visitation privileges which can affect the case badly.
If you are one of the victims of domestic violence or if you feel that you are in danger, you can look for any law firm or expert domestic violence attorneys in Long Beach that can help you to find a protective or restraining solution.
Do not completely rely upon the bits of advice of friends or family. It’s better to speak with an experienced attorney and appoint him/her as a family law attorney on long beach. These cases are sensitive and need to be carefully managed by a professional. I wish you all the luck that prevails!